Saturday, October 15, 2011

Laundry Detergent

I have recently become addicted to pinterest.  It is a wonderful virtual corkboard where I have found lots of wonderful craft ideas.  My mother tried for 18 years to open up my crafty side and I resisted, a whole 30 years.  Well now I am all about it. 

One day while looking around pinterest I found a do-it-yourself laundry detergent.  After a few days of thinking about it I decided to do it.  I have a couple people in my family with VERY sensitive skin and laundry detergent is expensive.  So I decided to do it, even though some members of my family thought it was a bit odd.    

The ingredients can all be found at you local Walmart in the laundry aisle.  All together it was about $8 for all the ingredients, but the Borax and the Baking and Washing Soda would make way more batches.  I am estimating that this the Borax, Baking and Washing soda containers I bought will last me a year.  That is a huge savings over a $15 bottle of tide, plus it doesn't have all those additives! 

1 bar Fels-Naptha bar soap
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1/4 cup Baking Soda
 Grate the Fels-Naptha Bar.  I used a cheese grated, but you can use a food processor or a Magic bullet. 
 Add all the ingredients and stir. 
 Then find a cute glass jar (okay any container really) and put it in the laundry room (please ignore my dinged up Dryer in the photo, it was a craigslist purchase). 
You only need about 2 tablespoons for a load of laundry.  So although this doesn't look like a ton, it will last a long time.  It smells good too.  It has a really clean, slight hint of lemon to it.  And it was super easy to make.  It only took about 10 minutes and that was only because I kept getting distracted by the kids. 

I have made a few other projects I have gotten from pinterest.  But more on that later. 

No comments: