Thursday, October 22, 2009

The DuFour's and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I have been wanting to do a post for a couple of days. I have had lots of ideas for some new blog posting, but nothing has come to fruition. It has been a busy couple of weeks (who are we kidding, month) in the DuFour household. So I apologize but tonight is not one of those happy fun blogs, there are just too many other things running through my mind. So tonight I will share with you all the story of The Dufour's and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (this is the reader digest version, so much more went on, but I don't want to bore you with all the nitty gritty details).

Yesterday started out as any normal Wednesday. My work day was a little hectic and I ended up in an IEP (Individual Education Plan) meeting in Escondido, which about 45 minutes from home. At the end of the meeting I got a message saying Ethan had fallen and hit his head and there was already a bump on his head. Meanwhile Chris was having some struggles with many of his work projects, minor things but annoying nonetheless. Chris had also printed a new shirt and was trying to release it on the Cross Your Heart online store. He had recently switched the online store subscription to a new company and when people logged into buy shirts, nothing was working. No one could buy anything. He was also having computer problems.
We took Ethan to the hemoc (hemotology/oncology) clinic at Children's Hospital; what we thought would take 2 hours turned into 4 hours, which abruptly turned into 6 hours. He ended up getting a shot of factor to ensure that if there was any bleeding internally it would clot; they also decided he needed a CT scan (for his age that means anesthesia to knock him out). His CT scan was supposed to happen at 6 but because he had ONE bite of cheese at 3 they made him wait until 9 (a whole six hours with nothing at all to eat or drink). One bite of cheese at 3 and before that he only ate a few bites of his lunch. Poor little guy was starving and very angry. Thankfully the CT scan was totally negative and there was no internal bleeding on the brain. Praise God, He watches over this kid! By the time we left it was 10:15pm and we got there at 3:30. Ethan was wide awake (after his nap, induced by anesthesia), we were all starving. So we tried to go to McDonald's (oh so healthy, but what do you do at 10 pm, you have a very angry child who is starving and has had multiple nurses poking his body with needles). Only the drive-thru was open so we had to drive through and continue home and eat our dinner there, by now it is 11pm. Ethan ate so much and was still so awake. We put him to bed anyway, he talked to himself for about an hour before falling asleep. It was a very tiring night.
Today was a better day, things were looking up, Chris's work stuff was going well. I had a meeting that went a bit late and I ended up picking Ethan up a little late tonight. When I got in the car to leave her house, my car would not start. Chris came to try and jump my Jeep, but it would not be jumped. AAA came out and my battery was very very dead. He replaced it. Our babysitter (whose is also good friends with us) entertained us all while we got the Jeep taken care of. They even got us pizza. We had some very nice fellowshiping that we had not planned on having tonight, thanks to my Jeep.

Everyone has days, weeks, months, years that just don't go the way you want them to. All the little things went wrong over the last day or so, but the important thing is God was there carrying the burden with us and in the end all the things that mattered went right. Ethan's head is just fine, we are all happy, healthy and provided for, plus we have each other. But I am still very tired and emotionally drained over the last couple of days. How are you all doing this week?


Anonymous said...

this gives new meaning to the phrase "go with flow", God has something in mind, we just can't always hear it.
Love you guys

J and C Smith said...

A phrase comes to mind after reading your blog... "When it rains, it pours"! Glad you guys have made it through your terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day(s) :)

P.S. What is the website to your shirts? I would like to look at it!

Alexis said...

oh, poor ethan. so glad to hear that it ended up just being a bump on the head. hope you can catch up on some rest this weekend.

jesse and susan said...

oh man. what a horrible couple of days for you guys. we are praying that things go a little better for your family over the weekend.

use the time off and relax. you deserve it. :)

amanda said...

You guys are all so sweet. Love you all.
C-the link to the t-shirt website is

I was going to build a link into the that blog post and totally spaced. But check it out let me know what you think. :)